Welcome to Just Jive Lindy Hop
We are a dance company based in Gloucestershire and Swindon Wiltshire. Our teaching team has over 30 years of dancing experience between them. Combined with a background in music & dance and teaching & coaching in other disciplines, we are well equipped to make sure we can tune our teaching techniques to suit our students; whether that be a small private group, a regular dance class or at a major weekend event.
Lindy Hop is a partner dance that is generally said to have been 'invented' in The Savoy Ballroom, Harlem, New York, in the 1920's and 1930's, and was danced to swing music. It is an African - American jazz dance that evolved from several earlier dances, most notably the Charleston. It was the American GI soldiers who bought Lindy Hop to Britain in the early 1940's. Lindy is traditionally danced to swing music. To give you a flavour of the types of tunes they danced to, listen to the classic Big Band sounds of Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, Glenn Miller, Count Basie or Artie Shaw. Also have a listen to some of the great singers of the day such as Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday or Frank Sinatra.
Swing Jive is also a partner dance. There are many modern Jive styles, our's is an amalgamation of footwork based moves with a smooth action. Unlike more Modern and Ballroom Jives (no wiggling or mincing) our style would be influenced by Rock 'n' Roll and Lindy Hop. It also includes Jazz Steps and tricks. We dance to music from the 1920's onwards, including Rock 'n' Roll and todays current tunes. Some of our favourite tracks which fill the floor include: Johnny be Good, Shakin' Mother for You and Dance with me Tonight performed by Olly Murs.
Dance/practice nights are the perfect opportunity to get up and have a go at the moves you have learnt in class. 3 hours of Jive and Swing music to get your feet tapping. Plenty of time to get those moves strung together, before you know it you will be dancing to a whole track. A chance to meet people from other classes in a fun and friendly atmosphere. All Jive and Swing styles welcome.
A few tips on etiquette to make your dancing go with a swing!
Dance floors can be dangerous. Please consider other dancers and look to make sure there is a space to send your ladies into. Ladies, always look out for your men.
- Personal hygiene is of the utmost importance as dancing is a 'close quarter combat sport' . Bring a spare shirt, towel and deodorant to wipe away those beads of sweat.
- Please report any spilled drinks. Always walk around the dance floor when returning from the bar, even if the floor is empty.
- At a social dance DO NOT execute air steps. It's dangerous and should be kept for cabaret.
- Try not to wear sharp things such as rings, watches, bracelets and stiletto heels. All of which can be painful if snagged.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do I need to bring a Partner? - No as the class is rotated.
- Do I pay in advance for a term? - No just pay per class as you go.
- Is there an age limit? - No.
- What type of clothes or shoes do I wear? - Clothes you are comfortable in. Ladies footwear, smooth soled flat shoe with not much grip.
- Where can I practice my dancing? - We put dances on weekly at different venues.